The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at the Institute’s headquarters in Ibadan:
Job Title: Research Technician I (Trait Evaluation)
Recruitment Type: National (3-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Support Senior Research Support Officer, International Trials Manager and scientist of the am breeding unit in trait evaluation to generate high quality data and ensure project goals are accomplished;
- Carry out field, screen house and / or laboratory activities to determine agronomic, resistance (disease and pest) and quality attributes;
- Assist in the evaluation of agronomic traits, resistance to diseases and nematodes, and quality attributes within the Yam breeding unit to identify breeding clones with improved characteristics;
- Collect field, screen house and lab data using electronic devices and data management software;
- Assist with all research activities in yam breeding unit;
- Assist with preparation of fields and screen houses for planting;
- Assist with maintenance of field plots and screen houses, including fertilizer application, spraying of herbicides and tillage for weed control, spraying of insecticides in screen houses, and supervision of casuals;
- Assist in harvesting of yam and maintenance of yam storage facilities;
- Assist graduate students on research projects as required;
- Maintain working areas for Yam breeding unit in clean and organized manner;
- Follow Unit’s quality standards and strive for continuous improvement of performance and efficiency in the Unit;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- ND in Science Laboratory Technology, General Agriculture with at least two (2) years’ relevant experience performing similar role
Ideal Candidate must have:
- Applied knowledge in agronomy, crop breeding and genetics, plant pathology, postharvest storage, crop quality, and screen house nursery / field trial management.
- Excellent knowledge of data collection software programs.
- Demonstrated success in working in multi-disciplinary projects.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
3rd July, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, the application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF) - See more at: http://www.hotnigerianjobs.com/hotjobs/130745/research-technician-i-trait-evaluation-at-the-inte.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hotnaijajobs+%28Hot+Nigerian+Jobs%29#sthash.m60maSYs.dpuf